Monday, December 1, 2008

'Tis the Season...

As I look forward to the week to come, I am reminded of the reason for this holiday season. It's not about getting the shiniest gifts for everyone on our shopping lists, either! I have always made fun of those poor folks that get up at 4:00 AM on the morning after Thanksgiving (otherwise known as Black Friday), but this year, I was one of those saps! I swore it wouldn't ever happen, but I guess that's why they say to never say never. Anyway, unlike most of those other folks, I was back home sleeping by around 7:30 or 8:00. We did get a few bargains, but I think next year, we will wait until later. What did you do on Black Friday? Did you get up and fight through the hustle-and-bustle?

Let's take a look at our memory verses from the past weeks before we get to this week's new verse. First off is last week's verse from 1 Chronicles 16:34..."O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever." Next up, let's look at Romans 8:1 & 2..."There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (2) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." The next verse comes from Ephesians 5:15 & 16..."See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." And our final review verse comes from John 3:30..."He must increase, but I must decrease." How many of you have those memorized already? Anybody care to step up and tell us how many you have? Don't be ashamed, learning scripture is something to be proud of!!!

For this week, let's look at 1 John 4:10..."Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." So many times, we think about all the love we show, but that is nothing without the love of God FIRST!!! Too many times, I tend to think of the works I have been doing, rather than what God has been allowing to be done through me...does that sound familiar? If I am doing the works in my power, then most likely they are not being done right or to the fullest potential!

This year, during the Christmas season, I want to keep my mind on what God did by sending Jesus to earth, to suffer rejection by a lost and dying world. Without the hope that is found in Him, my life would have no meaning...

Please review the verse for this week...ask God to speak to you with the words...share them with someone else...and let's see what God will do through our faithfulness to learning His Word!!!

Please let me know if you have a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today...

No comments: