Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'm So Thankful!!!

This morning in our Men's devotion time, we were talking when my mind was brought to Psalm 46:10..."Be still and knwo that I am God"... From that, I began thinking this morning as to what scripture would we look at and looked at the beginning of that very chapter.

Let's read in Psalm 46:1-3..."God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (2) Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; (3) Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof."

Let's take a look at the same passage in The Amplified version, it reads..."GOD IS our Refuge and Strength [mighty and impenetrable to temptation], a very present and well-proved help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains be shaken into the midst of the seas, 3 Though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling and tumult. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!"

Obviously, we are in the holiday season and our minds are on giving thanks. What better to give thanks for than the One who is "our refuge and strength"? When we go through the valleys of life, we have a Helper! I did capitalize that because He is not a helper in the sense we normally use that word. In this sense, He does the work through us. Not the way you normally think of a helper is it? Usually, we think of a helper as a "gopher" or maybe a "go-fer" go for this or that...

In this case, He tells us the comings and goings, or at least He should be doing the leading...right? The following verses just remind us that we have NOTHING to fear when our hope is in the Lord. I wanted to share the Amplified version, because it just makes the words "jump" out, if you will. I like how the parenthetical phrasing states...[pause, and calmly think of that]...if we think on it, we may be a bit more thankful for what we have in Him!!!

I am so thankful for all that God has blessed me with! This week leading up to Thanksgiving has been a time of reflecting, not only on memories of family get-togethers, but also what God has done in my life this past year. The circumstances could have been different, but I bless His name for the wonderful work that has been done...My eyes have been opened to His love and guidance. The year may have been personally, emotionally, and spiritually taxing, but I wouldn't change the way God has taught me to rely on, cling to and trust in Him...Yes, I did get that from Brother Boyd, as well:)

I want to express my sincerest appreciation to my church family, my friends, and my readers. I have learned much from each of you! I would like to send thanks to my worship leader friends for your ideas and devotions shared. I also want to thank my parents for the teaching that was taught not by telling me to follow the Biblical principles, but by watching you live them out. Yes, I strayed from time to time, but you were there to help bring me back! Thanks to my wife for her neverending support, regardless of the circumstances! I am also so thankful and proud of my two children, Tyler and Trinity...you will never know how much you mean to your dad!!! And finally, I am eternally grateful for a pastor who has shown me how to minister to others...in every word and action, you light the way pointing to Jesus. Thank you for your fine example!

Okay, now that I have gotten all the emotional stuff out of the way, let's take another look at our memory verse for the week from 1 Chronicles 16:34..."O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever."

May you be thankful for all you have been given!!! Not just this week, but every day, week, month and year of your future...Blessings!

If there is a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today, please let me know...

1 comment:

thealbersreport said...

I just happened to stumble on your blog, and let me tell you I was really encouraged by your post.

Its just pretty awesome to think that no matter what life throws our way we have a helper to help get us through the rough times.

God Bless