Friday, November 21, 2008

Thanksgiving thoughts...part 1

I know it seems a bit early, but Thanksgiving is coming next Thursday. In the realm of church, we have our dinner and music night this Sunday. So, this week, the Thanksgiving theme has been very much on my mind. In thinking about Thanksgiving, I looked up the references to the word on YouVersion. I want to look at a few of the references today, and will look at a few each day until the holiday itself. Thanks for bearing with me on this!

The first verse I look at today is from Psalms 26:7..."That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works." When I think about Thanksgiving and thankfulness, am I thinking more about what people have done that benefited me? That seems odd to say, but, unfortunately, I feel that I've been trained to think that way. It is a battle to keep focus on the One who should receive thanks for what He has done. There should be no better time for me to be thinking about His works, not only in my life, but in His creation of the world and the history that has been made because of Him.

Psalms 69:30..."I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving." Every year, I look so forward to our Thanksgiving meal and special music service. It seems like such a great time of "letting our hair down" and just focusing on praising God and even sharing some testimonies of what God has done in our lives. It means so much to be able to lift our songs and words of praise in a relaxed setting...the real challenge is trying to sing after filling up on turkey, stuffing, desserts, etc.

Psalms 95:2..."Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms." All worship leaders know this verse by heart, I am sure. We are always asking everyone to make a joyful noise. But with my voice, am I giving Him thanks, or just giving my best performance? Sometimes, I get so focused on the order of our worship service that I lose focus of the object of our worship...

At this time of year, we focus on giving thanks to our families, friends, and co-workers for what they have done for us and our lives...please don't forget to give thanks to the one who gave you life!!!

Let's take a quick look at our verses to memorize this week from Romans 8:1 & 2..."There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (2) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

Keep working on your learning of the scriptures...God will give you opportunity to share them with others if you take the challenge to learn them!!!

Please let me know if there is a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today...

1 comment:

David Dominguez said...

Craig,

Thank you for this reminder to express our thanks to God for all He has done. What a perfect time of year to remember this.

(And, I appreciate the emphasis on memorizing scripture. Such a blessing, if we will just do it.)

I look forward to reading more!