Monday, December 29, 2008

How was your 2008?

As I have been thinking about the past year over the past couple days, my mind has been on the abilities of God to use an imperfect being to achieve His perfect will. Many of my friends on Twitter saw a small note about what is to come in the following words in a short note I posted yesterday...

We are at a point in the year where we are all looking back on the past year, and looking forward to what the possibilities are for 2009. How many of you are planning to fall miserably? That was not what my mind was on either, but that is the result nonetheless.

Many times in my life I had bowed my knees and said God, you can have me...although I was still holding a part for myself. "Hey, nobody knows about my personal sins anyway, so it won't hurt, will it?"

I am reminded of the verse found in Romans 7:18..."For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. " Too often, I catch myself counting the works that "I" have done for God...but really, without the gifts He gave, none would be accomplished anyway, right?

I have to remind myself DAILY "that in me dwelleth no good thing"...I also must keep straight that personally I can not perform that which is good.

It has been one year since God chose to open my eyes. A year that has held not only shame, regrets, questions about my future, my calling, and anguish on my family, but also great personal and spiritual growth, a better awareness that the devil is always there...seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8), and learning that through some of the greatest "tragedies" in life, come some of the greatest rewards for those who continue in God's call.

I am thankful to have the family, both human and spiritual, that I have...a God who is a God of second, third, fourth, etc chances...and an enhanced view of those around me, who are looking for someone who is real, not a facade on stage and in the public places, but in and out of season.

Our weaknesses prove the strength of the God we serve. Like I have said before..."A superman would have made it look easy. It took an ordinary man to make it look like God"...the world around us is looking for people who don't have all the answers all the time...to be a witness, we must allow ourselves to become more transparent and that does bring vulnerability, but God will bless if we let Him show through us...

As I stated in my Twitter post yesterday afternoon, my goal is to be able to look back each year and see how much I have grown and been used by God. This past year it is obvious, but shouldn't we see that kind of growth each and every year? This year, that is my goal...not a resolution!!!

What are your personal and spiritual goals for 2009? Or do you have resolutions? Is there a difference in your mind? Share your thoughts...

Please let me know if there is a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today!!!

No comments: