Wednesday, December 3, 2008

O How He Loves Us

Many times I sit around and think, "how can the God who created the heavens and earth love someone like me"? Do you ever wonder why God loves us? I also wonder if I really grasp the meaning of the word love...does anyone really know what love is? The sappy song from the 80's runs through my mind..."I wanna know what love is, I want You to show me"...yes, I did change it a bit, because instead of asking one of you to show me, I want to learn from the One who created it.

Our verse for this week talk about love, as well. Let's take a look at 1 John 4:10..."Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."

I think about the love that God showed for us...not a spoken love, telling us how He cares for us...but a doing love, putting His words to action. Because of His love for us, He sent Jesus to earth, not just to walk around and teach, but then to die for our sins...not for the sins He had in His life, because there were none. He gave His perfect life to ransom you and me.

My mind is now taken to the old chorus we've sung for ages, "O How He Loves You and Me". Remember the part..."He gave His life, what more could He give"? Think about that in a parent's viewpoint...if you have kids, can you imagine giving one as a sacrifice for someone on death row? That's essentially what God did for us. He sent Jesus to die on the cross for sinners who have a death sentence...to give us life!!!

Let's take a look at the end of John 10:10..."I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." Some other translations talk about living to the full. Do I live life abundantly, or do I live in a shell? Not only did His love redeem me by Jesus' blood, but gave me freedom that many will never know!

My challenge from this is...to not only know the love that God has, but to show it to those around me. Are you up for that?

Look at the verse for this week again...pray God will speak to you through it...and share what He gives with someone else...

Please let me know if there is a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today!!!

No comments: