Monday, September 15, 2008

A prayer for grace...

This morning, as every Monday morning, I pray that my eyes will be fixed upon the things of God and not on this world. When I was reading, I stopped at Psalm 19 and came across a prayer that each of us should raise to the Lord. It begins in verse 12...

"Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. (13) Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. (14) Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."

As we go through each day, we do sin. Whether you want to admit it or not, we are sinful beings. Sometimes, even though we have what we would think a great Christ-like day, we have sinned in our actions, words, or by omission.

I believe that is what David is referring to here. We as finite beings don't understand the infinite wisdom of God and can't grasp fully the sin we are indwelt with. Therefore, we need to pray for our secret faults as they are mentioned in the KJV.

In verse 13 he asks for power against what he calls presumptuous sins...Webster defines presumptuous like this: overstepping due bounds (as of propriety or courtesy) : taking liberties. So, David is asking to be kept from sinning willfully or boldly. He also states that if the sin doesn't overtake him he shall be upright and innocent.

Finally, in verse 14 may we be ever cognizant that our thoughts, meditation, and words be acceptable to the Lord, who is our strength and redeemer. If we keep our eyes on our redeemer and lean to His strength and not our own, the wiles of this world will have no allure to us.

My prayer today is that we may ask God to take away our presumptuous sins...What sin have you been taking liberty with? Will you turn it back over to Him and let yourself be upright and innocent? Please let me know if I can word a prayer of comfort for you today...

No comments: