Thursday, January 15, 2009

Studying to be approved...

As I start back into my collegiate studies, I have been thinking about how we are to learn not only to gain knowledge to be used to further our own personal goals, but also to be a better steward of what God has given us. That leads me to our memory verse for this week, found in 2 Timothy 2:15..."Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

This week, in my Theology studies I've been reading about analyzing the Scriptures and their context to make the best broad statements (theologies) about my beliefs. When I look at the Amplified Bible's translation of this verse, it reminds me of that..."Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth."

So, for me to "put my best foot forward" in my walk with the Lord, shouldn't I be spending time learning what God is trying to teach me? If my time with God is there, my life will show it! The other point is that I must work at it...not try, not read and be done, but diligently work at it. It says a "workman that needeth not to be ashamed"...so, I must put forth the effort to learn. Sounds like school a bit, right?

Growing up, school was somewhat easy for me...I put forth very little effort and ended up with A's and B's. College is a bit more difficult. However, if I spend the time doing what is asked (read, listen, take notes) which does take some of "my" time, The results are grades that show it. If I am willing to put forth that type of effort for a degree, shouldn't my Bible study and prayer time have an even greater place? Shouldn't I be taking notes and learning the Scriptures, so that I need "not to be ashamed"?

The beginning of the verse says I should be "eager" and "doing my utmost"...am I eager to spend time reading, praying, studying, doing the work??? I would like to say "yes", but I can't always...

My final thought on this is if I am basing my life and walk with God on just the parts of the Bible that I like, wouldn't I be missing out on a lot. I must study the Bible completely, so I can truly understand, live, and be able to help others accurately or skillfully as the Amplified states.

Keep going over the verse for the week from 2 Timothy 2:15..."Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Pray that God will touch your heart with it's words...Don't stop there, let's truly push ourselves to study and work at it!!!

Please let me know if there is a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today!!!

No comments: