Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A historic day...

As I look back at the events that have come to pass, I wanted to give each of you a place to share your thoughts and hopes for the next 4 or possibly 8 years. We have just seen our first minority elected President of the United States. This is a day filled with pride for some, anguish for some, and some who just look at it as another day.

This is a bittersweet day for me...I am proud that our country can see beyond the boundaries of race when choosing a new leader. I may not particularly agree with the decision, but I know the One who is in control. May we be reminded of that daily!

During our January Bible Study of Exodus last night, we were brought to a great scripture that touches this well. It is in Exodus 9:16..."And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to shew in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth."

As Bro. Elmer Whitehead shared last night, we shouldn't concern ourselves with the "why's" but rather remember that God causes things to happen in the world "that my name may be declared throughout all the earth."

For that reason, I have chosen this verse for the memorization challenge of the week. When we struggle with issues and challenges in our lives, let's rely upon the Lord, Whose name shall be declared throughout all the earth!!!

Take a few moments to read over the verse again...pray that what you're going through will be used for His glory...and ask for the chance to share your trials, tribulations, and triumphs with others for the glory of the Lord!!!

Please take a couple minutes to leave your thoughts on the days events and, as always, please let me know if there is a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Bro. Craig,
I did like the Exodus 9:16 verse but I pray that God doesn't have to use any of the plagues on our current president as He did with Pharaoh. I heard about a professor once that said, "When reading any single scripture, we need to have 20/20 vision. That is: We need to read 20 verses before the scripture and 20 verses after the scripture." Ever since I heard this, it has helped to draw the fullness out of each verse. I will continue to pray for our new president even though I would have to stand against many of his theological and social thinking. I don't believe that we have ever had a president while in office to be radically transformed by the powerful salvation of our Lord Jesus Christ. This is my heart's prayer. What a wonderful event that would be. I have often thought if that was not what God was saying to Pharaoh in verse 16. II Peter 3:9 says, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." This passage speaks of the patience that God has for our wicked selves in hopes of repentance leading to salvation. I believe this was the heart of God when He spoke those words to Pharaoh. If Pharaoh would have repented in his hardened heart, God would have saved him. Oh, how different the exodus account would have been! Pharaoh would have been even more renowned and God's name would have been declared even the more. Yet, as we find in the next verse (Exodus 9:17) Pharaoh chose to exalt himself instead of exalting God and His people. I pray that our new president will come face to face with God and will choose to become a better vessel than Pharaoh chose.

Your Brother In CHRIST JESUS,

Bro. Kevin Butler
Evangelism 101