Tuesday, October 14, 2008

And Keep Thy Word...

This morning as I have been doing some reading around the blogosphere, I am troubled by a few things. I realize as "worship leaders", we are to be working to produce the best possible product to lead, but are we putting the focus on the right things? I have read how several are worried about keeping guitarists, pianists, drummers, and vocalists happy. That is not what worship is about, though...it's about giving our best to Him, regardless if we hear our voice loud enough, there's feedback, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am as picky as the next guy, but we can't allow technical issues to take the focus off who we are singing, playing, or drumming to.

My scripture passage today comes from Psalm 119:17-22..."Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word. (18) Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. (19) I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me. (20) My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times. (21) Thou hast rebuked the proud that are cursed, which do err from thy commandments. (22) Remove from me reproach and contempt; for I have kept thy testimonies."

Here, David is praying for God to provide abundantly for him, that he may abide while keeping the Word of God in his life. He is also asking that God open his eyes, that he would see the great things of the law. We no longer are under the law in the same respect as the Old Testament, but should still glory in the statutes set before us for Christian life.

One of our deacons here is always reminding me about the next verse's words...we are not of this earth...don't let things here get to you! I will next skip over a bit to verse 21 where the proud are rebuked and cursed for getting their own selves in the way of the commandments. This is a hard one to keep our minds upon. When a person is put on a pedestal, after a while they seem to think they deserve it, if they don't have the right perspective. I speak from being there personally. My prayer each day is that I am mindful that I must decrease and He must increase (John 3:30).

Finally, in verse 22, if we keep our eyes focused can ask God to remove the trials and contempt we face for we have kept His testimonies. This is not to say that everything will be great all the time and trials will never come, but that God will remove those feelings from our hearts.

Let's pray that we may focus our eyes upon the Lord in our times of praise and worship. Like the words from "The Heart of Worship" state so eloquently..."it's all about You...it's all about You, Jesus..."

Let me know if I can word a special prayer on your behalf today...

No comments: