Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Run the race...

There have been many selections that I have read today, but the one I am sharing comes from I Corinthians 9:24-27..."Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.(25) And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.(26) I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:(27) But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

This is a very pointed passage, telling us to be ever cognizant that our "walk" matches our "talk". It also stresses that while the world is running for material gains, we are running for riches that will be laid up above. It also states that since we run for incorruptible gain, we should run that much harder.

Another message is that we run, not with uncertainty, but with a purpose. It also states we fight, not as someone out of control, but rather being led by the Spirit. All too often, we think we can't stand up and be heard. In these times, we must stand for our Christian rights or we run the risk of losing them.

Most importantly in this passage is verse 27: We must keep our bodies under subjection!!! I am speaking to myself as much as anyone here...if we aren't careful, the deeds or misdeeds we do may cause our witness to falter. In this section it states that when we have given the Word to others, we could be "castaways". That's pretty strong!!! What we do outweighs what we preach...Hmm, practice what you preach and be ever mindful of the outward appearance.

I pray that your walk stays along the straight and narrow. If there is something you are fighting personally, I would ask you to give it to God. He can handle all your heavy burdens. If I can say a prayer for your situation, let me know.

No comments: