Friday, August 15, 2008

Errant Judges


As I was watching the Olympics last night and getting aggravated with some of the judging decisions made during the All-Around Women's Gymnastics, a passage in scripture came to mind...Matthew 7:1-5. I was sitting there ripping the judges in my mind and was stopped by "Judge not!" Here I was judging these "judges" when I know little, if any, about what they are looking for. I was buying in to what the media was telling me, which is exactly what we preach not to do.

I am an Olympic fan to the extreme and root unendingly for the U.S.A. and have followed the Michael Phelps phenomenon, cheering like a little league parent. The problem is, when we judge others, we are also putting ourselves out there to be judged... How can I judge an errant Olympic official when I am an errant human??? See where I am coming from? In this passage, it clearly tells us not to point out others faults when we have faults of our own... Ouch! That hurts. Verse 5..."First cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." Strong words for what I was thinking was simple rooting for MY team...

Maybe next time we sit and watch the Olympics, we can enjoy the fanfare and competition, and forget about the bickering...Go U.S.A.!!!!

May you have a blessed day!

No comments: