Friday, July 30, 2010

When is "Bad" Really Bad???

As a person who spent many years as a "smoker", I will spend the rest of my life as a recovering nicotine addict. Usually, my days don't consist of fighting the urges anymore (been without for several years now). However, being around smoke-filled rooms and just basically around many smokers this week, the urges have been quite difficult. My relation to Scripture today comes in this question to each of you...when is "bad" bad to each of us? What is your major crutch or stumbling block that you must lay down each day?

I am brought to the verse in James 4:17..."Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." Doing good isn't always the easy thing, is it? But when the Spirit impresses on our heart, it is obvious what we should be doing or not doing.

This is such a difference from what we are being taught in the world, right? In these times of "do what feels good", "do what you want to do", and basically "you are your own god"...we have this mis-guided thinking that we are in charge. How far from the truth that really is. There is a big difference between having free will and doing right or wrong.

In my battle against my addictions, I have found the only way to find victory is to ask God for His power and strength everyday. The days I get up and forget to ask for help, I struggle. It is a daily thing...not unlike we are supposed to have.

My question for you today again is...what are you battling with today (or everyday)??? And, how do you or will you claim victory over it???

Please let me know if you have a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today!!!

No comments: