Tuesday, October 13, 2009

So Routine...

Over the past two weeks, our Singles' Sunday School class has been working through the Chase the Goose study book by Mark Batterson. For more information, you can click here. This Sunday, we were talking about routines in our lives and whether or not they were just keeping us in a rut, or actually growing us as we seek to follow the Holy Spirit.

One of the passages in the Bible that deals directly with how to deal with breaks in "our plans" is found in Mark 10:46-52. In this passage, Jesus and his disciples were leaving Jericho as they continued in their ministry when their trip was interrupted by blind Bartimaeus.

Here's the passage..."And they came to Jericho: and as he went out of Jericho with his disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimæus, the son of Timæus, sat by the highway side begging. (47) And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me. (48) And many charged him that he should hold his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou Son of David, have mercy on me. (49) And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise; he calleth thee. (50) And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came to Jesus. (51) And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight. (52) And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way."

This is a perfect example of how we should respond to changes in our daily routine, right? I know that's a bit of a stretch, but what happens when you get stopped by someone in need of help jump-starting their car in a parking lot when you're rushing to a get-together??? What about the accident that slows you on your way to work in the morning??? Do we deal with such setbacks gracefully or does it immediately infuriate us???

I fail in this miserably on most occasions...my lack of patience gets the best of me most times. When I think about those "delays" we run into, I am reminded of the story of those who were slowed on their way to work at the World Trade Center on 9-11-01. I am sure when those interruptions occurred, many of them were frustrated and impatient, like I would have been. But, looking back, I am sure they realize that God's timing was perfect...there was a reason!

Now, I am not saying that every single thing that breaks our routine will be a life-changing experience, but I am simply asking are we able to be used if the opportunity presents itself...or has our fallen nature gotten the best of us already?

Let's try something together...is there something you are doing in "routine" that could be adapted differently? Sometimes when we are stuck in the routines, we miss out on true leading because we are more worried about the whens and wheres than we are the Who, right? Sometimes a slight change can produce new results as we come out of our comfort zone and open up and allow the Holy Spirit to deal with us afresh and anew.

I pray that you have a blessed day...and please let me know if you have a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today!!!

No comments: