Friday, April 10, 2009

The Love of Jesus...

As we come upon Easter, I find myself thinking about the love of Jesus upon a cruel world who wanted nothing to do with Him. Not only did He give His life as a ransom for our eternal souls, but became a vital part of the lives He encountered. I am reminded of the occasion when his friend, Lazarus died.

Look at the passage found in John 11:33-36..."When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, (34) And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. (35) Jesus wept. (36) Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!"

The thing that sticks out is in verse 36..."Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!"

What do people say when they see our encounters with friends? Do they see the love we have or maybe what we can gain from the other? What about those who aren't our "friends or inner circle"? Shouldn't people see the love of Jesus in us when we deal with them as well?

I want us to look at Matthew 5:44-46..."But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (45) That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. (46) For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?" So, if we only show love to those we are friends with, then we are showing nothing but human nature. It takes a true love to show love to even the "unloveable"!!!

We haven't been called to reach only those who can help us, but rather to preach the gospel to all nations... My prayer is that I will reach beyond my comfort zone to those who are in need. I was deeply touched by the pictures Mark Hall of Casting Crowns sent on TwitPic of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. Some folks with the big names wouldn't get their hands "dirty" by visiting a reservation with such poverty. They would say it's a missionary's job to reach them. I have a much greater respect for them because of their willingness to go and teach and reach souls for Christ. Hats off, Casting Crowns!!!

What ways can you show the love of Christ to others? Maybe a note to someone who's hurting...a kind word to that teller who's struggling...a meal for the family who just experienced tragedy...whatever it is, find a way to reach out!!!

Please let me know if there is a special prayer request I can word on your behalf today!!!

1 comment:

mandy said...

Jesus was right. It is much easier to love the lovable... I have a harder time with those that hurt me - are enemies to me - and push me away.

Great challenge for me to think - how can I best love those who might be considered my "enemies?"